Life These Days

I guess I have left a huge part of Luke's life out of this blog in the past 5 months. I don't like to 'post' or blog medical information. People did it when Lucy was in the NICU and it drove me crazy. I didn't like that they would tell people the wrong information. I didn't like that the facts were exaggerated or even downsized. If I wanted people to know information, I wanted to tell them myself. People who were closest to us asked us personally or we would keep them updated. It just all rubbed me the wrong way.
At this point, most people who are near and dear understand everything that is going on. I don't even know if I have all the facts correct, but this is the best I can recall. Luke's mom had cancer about 5-6 years ago. She had been having trouble this spring with breathing and went to get treated for pneumonia. I believe from there they ran more tests because of the amount of fluid in her lungs and other issues. They did find that her cancer was back, had spread into bones and other areas, and were ready to start treatment immediately. The doctor at that time said that most people with this cancer will have 1-3 years with treatment. There was a day ( as I was driving to Orlando with my sister & kids) that Luke got a call saying he needed to get to Nashville because she wouldn't make it through the night. She did end up going home from the hospital and recovering from the low point. She has had several procedures and hospital stays since May/June when she found out. At this point, she hasn't had chemo in about 5 weeks because her body is too weak and she has other medical issues that keep coming up. She was re-admitted into the hospital this past weekend. We drove down to Nashville Monday after my doctor's appointment so the kids could see her again. Luke made it just in time Monday night to hear what the doctor had to say. They discussed the course of action left, which starts with trying to get food/liquids in the body to get her strong and well enough for anything else. There were other steps after that, but the doctor didn't think they'd make it to them. They were given a timeline of this week until her body will not be able to hang on any longer.
Luke drove the kids and I home on Tuesday afternoon. My doctor told me to go ahead and go when we could. But being there cooped with the kids in a waiting room or some one's house & worrying about Luke's feelings and emotions was causing stress & my bp to rise. He went on back that evening and will be staying until this weekend most likely. 
I'm not sure what my role is in this situation. I'm not sure how to handle someone so close to you dealing with so many emotions and hurt. He is beyond stressed with work. We still haven't been able to unpack every box in the house. And we are still on pins and needles watching my BP. He doesn't even know how or what he feels right now about the whole situation. We will just take it one day at a time, and appreciate the prayers from everyone!
Baby news-- everything is still going great! The aches, pains, cramps, contractions, and random right foot swelling are annoying, but nothing we can't handle! I am 31 weeks along today, and the c-section is scheduled for December 7th, 2012. My doctor said that we've gotten to a good point--far enough away from 24/25 weeks that if ANYTHING starts to show, we aren't taking any chances, and it will be GO TIME. He said basically we almost got burned last time, and you just can't take any chances when it comes to my life.
I'll have some pictures to post soon--29.30, & 31 weeks!

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry about Luke's mom. I saw your post on FB that she passed away. I hate cancer. You try to rest as much as you can. So happy with how far you have come and still praying that the baby keeps on cooking. :)