8.28.2014

Jonah's Journey

Luke & I have recently been thinking and praying about a ministry/missions opportunity we came across. I saw a clip on the news one night a few weeks or maybe even a month ago. It was the story of a foster care program here in Nashville--it is a Christian based ministry that is not run by the state. I started telling Luke about it, & then showed him the news clip. I started praying about this, and we discussed it some more. I requested an interest form from the office--which included adding 4 names for references that needed to fill out papers for us. I went ahead and asked some friends if they'd be ok with filling out the referrals , emailed our pastor & another family to see if they'd do the same. Then I held onto the paper for over a week. Maybe this ISN'T for us, I kept thinking. I lose my mind with my 3 children sometimes, and we are finally almost DONE with babies, and maybe I was not hearing correctly. Maybe this isn't a calling for our family. But then every sermon I kept hearing and every song that came on the radio kept pointing me back towards knowing that this is for us right now. I had been praying even before this came up for an opportunity for another baby. I'm not physically going to carry another baby, and we can't pay right now for an adoption. Then this fell in our laps basically. We can't just ignore this right now. Just like in the Audio Adrenaline song  If not us who will be like Jesus To the least of these.
 
Sorry this isn't the best quality.


Luke grew up with this verse in his house on the wall :

27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. 

James 1:27

His parents fostered & he grew up with babies and kids in the house up until we were dating.  He was actually on board quicker than I thought he would be, this might have had something to do with being around foster care his childhood too.  He was also ready to find out more information, and I sent the paper on in. Our referral papers got sent back quickly { thank you}, and we headed to a meeting Tuesday night to find out more about the history of the ministry & everything else involved.

This was the clip we had seen before we went into the meeting, and basically the majority of what we knew about the ministry: 
 
We had questions at the meeting, talked to our kids, and talked on the way home. We decided together after that, that we are still in this & plan to keep moving forward to foster care. The plan for now? We have gotten a checklist of paperwork we need to get turned in, and are getting things together. We've submitted some papers, we will have classes to attend in a few weeks, we will have a home study & background check, and hopefully then we will be approved & ready to go! 

We've shared this ministry with some friends and family already, but we'd love to have prayer from everyone else too! I'll add some pictures and links also so you can read more about Jonah's Journey.  We will keep everyone updated with the process as we keep moving along. And if your baby has extra diapers that are too small, you might have someone new to send them to ! If you have any questions to ask us, feel free!

 
Jonah's Journey page: http://jonahsjourney.org/
 
 
Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Savior


No comments:

Post a Comment