We've got a diagnosis!

By the way, Landon loves Doc Mcstuffins, and the title of this post reminds me of the show. I'm trying to think of a name that would sound like one of her diagnosis. hhhmmmm....

I know most people  ( if anyone even does) who read this, probably are facebook friends as well. So, you might have seen our progression of pictures from Sunday evening until we were discharged Wednesday morning.

This was Sunday evening after we have been at the hospital about 3 hours. He was still swatting hands away if you got anywhere near his knees. He had been seen by 1 doctor, and was awaiting x-rays to check for the septic thing in his knees, and was waiting blood testing.

This was after x-rays 2 times & blood drawn 2 times. His IV was in his right arm, so he had a hard time using his left arm for a few days. The small bumps were changing into a solid raised area all over.

This was Monday evening after his fingers and feet started swelling up. The swelling and bruising in his knees was going away, but he couldn't walk still--now because his feet were still swollen. His joints themselves never had swelling, just all the soft tissue around them. The rash had spread mostly to his inner thighs and back and face.

He had been crying all morning to go home, and was SO excited to finally leave! He was so excited he was running down to the nurses station to tell them BYE. He even jumped up in the elevator, only to fall flat on his bottom. I guess after not walking for 2 a few days, he was a little unstable and weak ;) The elevator was full, and he stood up and said ' I'm Ok!" I laughed and cried all the way to the car.
When we were discharged, we were at the point where they believed it was NOT Systemic onset Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis ( THANK YOU JESUS!) . All of the doctors together believed that his body was fighting some type of infection or virus ( his white blood counts were back to normal, but the other counters that show he's fighting something were still up, but going back in the right direction), and his body over-reacted for whatever reason.I don't remember all the factors they were testing, but his protein was fine ( no liver damage or swelling), and the count that shows swelling was back to normal also. Whatever it was had set him off to think it had to fight the virus this way. I think that is the correct way to say it. It made perfect sense to me--as much as it can. They had done another throat swab on Tuesday, and taken more blood Wednesday morning. They all said we may never know what it was that set it all off, but at least he is better.
We got a call this morning from one of the doctors and said that the 2nd strep test had come back positive. There is a form of post-strep that has some arthritis side effects. This is what we believe he had. He was on antibiotics for 2 days in the hospital, but they called out another because we want to make sure this (RARE) form of strep is completely out of him.  
Hopefully we will never see this again! He is just a little tired today. Mommy & Landon took a nap from about noon 'till 5:30 PM yesterday! It was much needed. Now, we've just got laundry to catch up on in the midst of the Derby Parade tonight, Oaks Friday, and resting and relaxing!
Thanks for the texts, e-mails, prayers, calls, & cards!

No comments:

Post a Comment